Fifth Harmony // Discovery

, ,
The problem with televised singing competitions is how it's almost impossible to listen to all of the auditions and when one participant does catch my eye, I almost never follow through with them. There are a few exceptions, such as Ella Henderson or Bella Ferraro. And now Fifth Harmony's one of those few.

Fifth Harmony is a group formed on X Factor US. Although all five members were initially soloists, they were put together by Simon Cowell. It's hard to form the perfect balance when each singer has a distinct singing style, so I often don't find myself listening to group artists. In a good group, each member is able to showcase their individuality while maintaining a certain level of balance. However this balance can be easily compromised or destroyed by a clashing of strong vocals.

Lauren's voice is the perfect middle ground. She has great control and adaptability. Dinah's vocal power is amazing and her voice sounds so rich. Ally has a lovely, smooth tone; I think she improved the most from X Factor. Normani has a gorgeous voice full of soul. Personally, I favour Camila's rough, raw voice. There's something special about her creative spins on melodies. And her runs are so good, but she sometimes oversings.

Song that got me hooked: Impossible (Shontelle Cover)