Ketsumeishi // Discovery

, ,

Ketsumeishi reminds me of the golden age of Japanese music. If there ever was such a thing. I may sound like a music hipster when I say that (and maybe I might as well be). Regardless, one would have to say Ketsumeishi has had and continue to lead a pretty successful career. Backed up by years of solid discography, consistent chart rankings, busy tours, and much more.

Ryo Tanaka, Ryoji Otsuka, Daizo Yoshida, and Kenta Kohno make up the group. The first three being vocalists and the latter being a DJ. Technically formed by Ryo in 1993, it wasn't until 3 years later that the other members joined and another 3 years later until their first indies single went on sale. According to Jpopasia, their name is derived from some Chinese herb and their albums' name (Ketsunopolis) is a risque play on words.

I really enjoy their sound. Feel good poppy hip hop makes great bgm. While a large chunk of their songs fall under the generic let's-have-fun-in-the-sun umbrella, they are so much more than that. I really recommend listening to their Best Of seasonal albums to get a greater sense of what they have to offer. And they have a lot to offer. Over two dozen singles and almost a dozen albums later, here they are. Still getting in the top 30, still going on tour, even selling their own food (as shown on their Twitter). The last one makes me a bit confused.

The fact that there are so many successful and good artists out there excites and saddens me. There are always new bands waiting to be discovered but unfortunately I will never be able to discover them all in my lifetime.

Song that got me hooked: Kachou Fuugetsu 
What a calming song this is. 



Official Site: http://www.ketsume.com/